History

With over 142 Years of History, serving the locals, visitors and military, this historic icon is the longest serving Pub in Townsville. We invite you to witness the transformation of this historically significant Townsville landmark into one of Northern Queensland's favourite venues.

2015

The first floor is a Gentlemen's Club known as SHOWBAR 151, still owned & operated by the Showbar Group.

The Ground Floor has undergone renovations & has been relaunched as a separate entity

2013

The hotel was evolved into 3 different distinct areas. A LIVE Music Bar, A Cocktail & Wine Bar and A Gentlemen's Club.

2011

The hotel was leased from Greg Rains & Michael O'Keefe by a female business woman Jasmine Robson on a 30 year lease and she evolved the business into 3 distinct areas. A Topless Bar, A Cocktail & Wine Bar and A Gentlemen's Club.

2009

Enter a Tropical "exchange"  a trip with reflections of a life and  style  redolent with comfort and atmosphere  befitting  a grand old lady established in the 1880's. Travel with us on a journey of great places and enjoy our hospitality the way it should be.

The Hotel is steeped in history but tastefully renovated for the 21st century with tasteful decor and state of the art facilities to rival the best. Great atmosphere is captured in so many different ways throughout the 4 new bars and beer garden, offering fantastic food, beverage and entertainment to meet everyone's tastes. Adding to this is the provision of a beautiful balcony overlooking Flinders Street and Ross Creek which is perfect for that special celebration.

2008

On the 16th April 2008 Greg Rains & Michael O'Keeffe purchased the Exchange Hotel and are the proud owners of the Hotel to this day.

1892

Coyle departs to live in Sydney and Jacob Dent takes over as the licensee. He remained at the hotel for fifteen years and it was during his time at the hotel that the balcony with decorative iron balustrade was added to the upper floor.

1883

Thomas Coyle took over the licence and under his management the Hotel attracted a large clientele of sporting identities.

1881

A tragic fire destroys the hotel as fire equipment available at the time was useless against such a blaze. Ball rebuilt the Hotel, it was the first Hotel built from brick and its façade was greatly admired.

1877

O'Neill marries Irish businessman Andrew Ball, discoverer of the site on which Townsville was founded. Andrew Ball renovates the Hotel and extends the yard behind the building by blasting rock away from the hillside.

1873

Rose O'Neill takes over the license for the hotel, improves its reputation and almost doubles its size.

1869

Korak Wills sells the site on the Strand, building a new Exchange for Elizabeth Poole on Eastern Flinders Street. It was she who built the Exchange Hotel Assembly Rooms next door to the hotel which was thought to be one of the first theatres in Townsville rivalling the Theatre Royal.

1866

The first Exchange in Townsville is built by Edward Head on the Strand.

The GrosvenorBookmark SiteYouTubeTwitterFacebook